Decor

Little Girls’ Room Makeover

So, my little girls’ room had been in need of some attention for a while.  A vinyl castle wall sticker had slowly been peeled away, and as their brightly colored toddler toys made their way to the donation pile, their once-adorable room was left looking rather blah:

beforeroom

I finally decided to take action a few months ago.  I asked them for a favorite color that they could agree on (not a small task for a 5 and 7 year old), and then let them start talking about their favorite things and places in an effort to guide their style.

I let this daydreaming process go on for a few weeks, just to let the cream rise to the top, so to speak.  They LOVE the zoo, especially the cheetahs, and they agreed on teal for their main color.  Here’s what we finally came up with!

rothyoungerroom_8

The three animal prints were the first thing we bought (on clearance at Kirkland’s for $10 each).  Once we had those, we bought curtain panels at Target (by far the most expensive part of the room, with four panels at $20 each) and tinted the paint to match them.  We already had the bean bag chairs, and Melessa suggested I bring them in here and really play up the pink as an accent color for the room.  She also brought the pink fleece sheets out of our linen closet to act as throws for the foot of each bed.  Those pops of pink totally make the room!

rothyoungerroom_4

Just to make sure the world understands just how much my girls (particularly Rebecca, the 5-year-old) love cheetahs, I found a cheetah stencil online and covered one wall with it.  And then I added the rug from Target ($70) to tone down the brown carpet a bit. Realistically, I should have bought an 8×10 rug for that sized space instead of 5×7, but as our friends like to say, “It’s good enough for who it’s for!”

rothyoungerroom_3

rothyoungerroom_2_1

Emily wants to be a cheerleader, so I covered another wall with gold foil cheer bow stickers.  I like that they have a similar feel to dots, which are very popular, but they’re much more personalized to her.  The inside of the closet was already pink, but as we were staging the room for photos, Melessa suggested we move the ottomans in there for extra contrast (they had been at the foot of the bed),  and she moved the pink and green storage boxes and linens onto the shelf.

Oh, and I have no idea what possessed me to make the geometric pattern on the bed wall, but I love it so much!  Bonus: I finally used the protractor I’ve kept since tenth grade geometry class.

rothyoungerroom_1

I really couldn’t stand the builder-grade oak trim anymore, but I didn’t want to pay to replace it, so I painted the trim white and the doors black.  The faux crystal door pulls were from Lowe’s.  We already had the little white shelf, and Melessa suggested that I add three C hooks for necklaces.  It was a perfect little accent to break up that wall a bit!

My husband also scraped the popcorn off the ceiling, completely ignored every contractor’s advice that we’ve ever heard, and painted the now-smooth ceiling.  We love it!  Sometimes, you have to decorate/renovate the way you want to, even if it means breaking the professionals’ rules.

rothyoungerroom_6

We already had this fairy door.  The Tooth Fairy tucked it in Santa’s bag for one of the girls a few years ago, and it is definitely precious to them!  When a tooth is lost, it’s placed on top of the door frame, and the Tooth Fairy comes through the door to leave a little treasure in exchange.

rothyoungerroom_7_1

When I added everything up, I spent about $250 on this room update.  About a third of that was curtains, so if I hadn’t budgeted for that expense, I could have gone with different curtains from HomeGoods for a fraction of the cost.  For me, though, it was a worthwhile expense.

rothyoungerroom_5

The girls love their room.  They love to play with their friends there, and they often read or color in there for hours (literally!).  It’s such a wonderful feeling to know that I helped bring their ideas to life.

rothyoungerroom_10_1

rothyoungerroom_11_1

rothyoungerroom_13_1

Louise
    October 21, 2016 at 7:32 am

A cute room for two very CUTE girls! By the way, I LOVE the humongous unicorn! Where did you ever get it??

Natalie Douglass
    October 21, 2016 at 11:02 am

Absolutely fantastic! The room is gorgeous! I need to hire you for my home!

Allison T.
    October 21, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I am dying over the cuteness of both the room and the girls! Beautiful colors and adorable theme and again you never let us down with the amazing photography!

Denise
    October 21, 2016 at 2:01 pm

What a darling room! I bet they are crazy about it. Th colors are perfect and all the accessories are so fun–especially the fairy door–I’ve not seen anything like it. Great job!!.

Laura
      October 21, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Thanks, Denise!

Laura and Melessa
      October 21, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Thank you so much, Denise! That fairy door is so special to them!

Anonymous
    October 21, 2016 at 3:00 pm

So darling Laura!!! I hope you’ll be available to brainstorm with when I work up the energy to do something this awesome for our girls room.

Amy
    October 21, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Perfect. I love the stenciled wall. ❤️

Sue
    October 21, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Absolutely gorgeous ! You mean that we missed personally viewing this creation when we visited in Sept. ? Ohhh, the sadness. The best I had done for the boys was sports decor & wallpaper borders

Denise
    October 22, 2016 at 3:11 am

I had to come back and look at this darling bedroom again—-so, so, so cute. The BIG question is—-do you have a team of workers to help you (like Martha Stewart, for example?) because you two must not get any sleep with all you do for this plus having families! I can barely keep up with each post–I am slow these days. You two are remarkable. Maybe ’cause I’m getting older and don’t have the energy to do a ton anymore so you two are beyond awesome!

Laura and Melessa
      October 22, 2016 at 3:50 am

Denise, you are so sweet! And that’s so funny you should mention Martha Stewart–we were just talking today on our way back from an interview how fun it is that we get to do everything ourselves and not just have minions doing it for us like Martha Stewart. Ha! We love it, though. And our husbands are incredibly supportive, which helps!

Denise
    October 23, 2016 at 4:48 pm

I thought maybe, just maybe, it could be a few fairies that come out of the fairy door each night to help. If that was the case, I’ll be getting myself a cute little fairy door!

Jana Hogan
    October 24, 2016 at 4:53 pm

This is a spectacular makeover! I was floored when I read how inexpensive everything was, relatively speaking. I am looking forward to designing a nursery soon, so thank you for some super fun ideas!

Lillian Soza
    October 24, 2016 at 6:39 pm

That’s so fun!! Growing up, we had white walls, no real decorations, so it’s hard to incorporate that into my kids’ room, but I’m trying! This was a fun example of the possibilities.

Laura and Melessa
      October 24, 2016 at 8:06 pm

We’re so glad you liked it! There are SO many possibilities, and if you choose wisely, it doesn’t have to break the bank. Just start by having fun arranging what you already have!

We'd love to hear your comments!