Beautiful on the Outside,Decor

Kid Art Gallery

In the past I’ve been told, “Wow! How do make your home look like you don’t have kids?!? It’s like an art gallery in here!”  (They wouldn’t say that if they saw the upstairs or the basement on any given day… YIKES!) I know they were paying me a compliment, but the comment actually stung a bit because I didn’t want my house to look “perfect” or look like kids weren’t welcome.  I have two active, messy, wildly creative young boys (who happen to LOVE art)!  Also, as an artist, my studio is covered in half-finished projects, piles of art supplies, random messes and paint splatters; far from perfect.  I decided that if I was going to put my artwork on display throughout the house for guests to enjoy, that it was only fair that I display some of my boys’ artwork as well.

The first floor of my house is wide open.  Next to our dinning table is a large horizontal window that is south facing.  Since we moved into the house about four and half years ago I have had many different thoughts on what to do with that wall.  After realizing that I should own my family’s quirky, creative style I decided to upgrade my kids art from the refrigerator to a main wall in my home and make them feel more loved and appreciated.

Wall Before

When they came home from school they saw all their art scattered on the floor.  Gabe (my youngest) said, “Mom you’re making a mess!  What are you doing with our art work?”  I was so excited to tell them my idea!  Gabe had the biggest smile on his face!  He was super excited about the idea of seeing his hard work framed and hung on the wall.  We looked through his artwork and picked out our favorites together.  This idea was more than just putting kids art on a wall, it became a sweet bonding moment.  I loved that he spent time picking out his favorite pieces with me and then hung around to watch me frame his work.  It really made this project more tender than I had planned on.

When Sam came home (being a tween) he tried very hard not to show too much emotion, but it didn’t take long for his grin to emerge.  He was really excited, too!

Below is the bucket holding ALL of my boys’ art work from the last several years…

I wish I had taken a photo of it all spread out, but I forgot.

I had a few frames laying around.  I also ran to some thrift stores and grabbed some for dirt cheap.  For bigger frames I went to Ikea.  This project totaled under $100.  I purposely chose to be eclectic with my frames because I love modern, contemporary, retro, victorian and traditional!

After I collected all the frames I wanted to use I painted them white.

Then I decided to paint that section of my house white.

Wall After

On Sunday’s I like to have a little art class for my kids.  I expose them to new artists and teach them about different art media.  Can you tell?  After Sam (my oldest) learned about Piet Mondrian he came up with his own version.

I know, I know I have more of a connection to this art than you guys (mom goggles) but again I love that my kids feel appreciated.

I just love the color and life this wall has!

I still need to fill my gumball machine with colorful gumballs.  My kids remind me all the time!  🙂

I loved doing this so much with my boys. It’s inspired me to do more decor projects with them!

So what do ya think?  Does this make you want to do a creative project with your kids?  Maybe you’ve already done this.  I want to know!

XOXO

Allison T.
    January 13, 2017 at 8:11 am

Oh my gosh!!! The wall looks amazing! I love all the colors! Way to go Sam and Gabe, your becoming great artists like your mom and uncle!

January 13, 2017 at 9:53 am

Thanks Allison! The boys love it!

Sonya Payne
    January 13, 2017 at 8:25 am

Love it Melissa, they could sell those. Max has made himself a gallery wall in my living room but they are just taped up, I don’t have the heart to take it down😍

January 13, 2017 at 9:56 am

I bet it’s beautiful! I would love to see it! It give’s kids so much confidence when their work is loved and appreciated.

Heather Lindsay
    January 13, 2017 at 9:05 am

This looks great! Your boys have some great work!

January 13, 2017 at 10:03 am

Thanks Heather! They love creating things! The cool part is you can change up the art anytime. When their holiday crafts come home you can frame those and then switch them back after the holidays!

Anonymous
    January 13, 2017 at 11:16 am

It looks awesome! Why did you paint the wall white? Is it something to do with the right colors or just because you wanted it white? Could it have been done with the wall you had before?

January 13, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Good question! Typically when you have a lot of different art on the wall (being in different styles and colors) you want the art to stand out the most not the wall color. Having said that, you can change the rules and do bold colors too. I know the wall was a light beige before, but it wouldn’t have complimented the vibrant colors from the art. For this particular wall I purposely wanted your eyes to only focus on the art. I hope that helps!

Anonymous
    January 13, 2017 at 12:23 pm

LOVE!!!

January 13, 2017 at 2:54 pm

I hope this inspires you to build something with your kids or family members!

Laura
    January 13, 2017 at 1:35 pm

This is gorgeous, Melessa!!!! I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!

January 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Laura! I couldn’t have done this without my boy’s creativity and love for the arts.

Karen
    January 14, 2017 at 6:43 am

Looks awesome! I want to get some frames and do this now since we have plenty of open walls in our house!

January 15, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Go for it! Your kids will totally love it!

janahogan
    January 14, 2017 at 6:02 pm

I loved this post! What I have found is that my passion is contagious with my kids. I love that you have exposed them to what you are passionate about. That’s where a lot of the bonding comes from, in my opinion. What a great mom you are! Did you use spray paint to paint the frames?

January 15, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Jana! I sprayed some of the frames and the other’s I hand painted to make the white more opaque.

Julie
    January 14, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I love the Mondrian-inspired piece. He’s my favorite artist. This is very inspiring, although I don’t have children nor any artistic talent. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

January 15, 2017 at 9:23 pm

You can still find prints from your favorite artists and build a fun gallery wall in your space. Go for it!

We'd love to hear your comments!