Beautiful on the Outside,Decor,Design

Oh, Color! I Love You So!

Image via West Elm

Colors plays a huge role in the world we live in.  Color also has different meanings in various cultures.  Color can actually sway the way you think, adjust your mood, irritate or relax your eyes, raise your blood pressure or calm you, it can even affect your appetite.

Color is extremely important to me!  I communicate in color.  Next Tuesday I’ll go into more details about why color is so important and what each color really means…

Today, I want to show you how bold color can be jaw dropping and awesome when put together well!  I know, this style isn’t for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with all neutrals in a home. I truly love many styles, and appreciate all colors.  So bear with me if these colors are too strong for you.  But I encourage you to keep looking and see if there’s anything that does inspire you.

Exactly a year ago, Nate and I finally went on a real honeymoon after 14 years of marriage.  We decided to take the plunge and go to Europe.  I had not traveled much before, so I was pretty excited to see Europe and really experience rich culture and physically feel it’s rich history and outstanding architecture.  Not to mention stunning design!  Wow!  Was I inspired!

If you ever go to Italy you need to go to Sorrento in the Spring!  The lemon trees are lush and the smell of citrus is everywhere!  The Amalfi coast, hiking trails, boating, islands, Pompei, Mt. Vesuvius and getting lost in the narrow side walks inside neighborhood trails are all parts of the adventure when you stay in Sorrento.  It’s a must!  I have to give Nate all the props for finding the hotel we stayed at.  It was OUT OF THIS WORLD and fairly affordable!  So, as I was saying before, color can really have an effect on your mood.  So, how about these rooms?!?

Check out Marina Piccola 73

Images via www.marinapiccola73.com

Notice that not all the color has to be the same value.  You can mix bolds with muted or with pastels, etc.

Looking at these pictures makes me want to go back!

So let’s look at how you can apply color like that into your home.  Do you want to paint your ceilings?

Image by Redmond Aldrich
Image via This Old House

Image via Sherwin Williams

Or color on the window trim or doors?

Image by VIA
Image via Sherwin Williams
Image via Sherwin Williams
Image by VIA

Image by VIA
Image via sfgirlbybay.com
Image via homebunch.com

How about furniture in a fun color ?

Image via notmybeautifulhome.tumblr.com
Image via Elle
Image via Elle
Image via West Elm

What about pops of color in decor accents?

Image via apartmenttherapy.com
Image via Sherwin Williams
Image via Sherwin Williams
Image via apartmenttherapy.com
Image via apartmenttherapy.com
Image via Sherwin Williams
Image via Sherwin Williams
Image via architecturaldigest.com

How did those rooms make you feel?  Did the color and design draw you in?

XOXO

Tayna
    March 24, 2017 at 6:58 am

Love so many of those rooms! Hopefully one day you can do this to my house😁😘

March 24, 2017 at 7:00 am

It will happen! You have the perfect house for this too!

Amy
    March 24, 2017 at 8:02 am

i looove to look at colorful home pictures but I find that I feel more centered when I have more neutrals and a calmer color palette in my house. Maybe because I can’t ever stick to one thing for long enough, it would get too expensive if I was repainting all my furniture fuschia and scarlet every month! 🙂

March 24, 2017 at 8:30 am

Yes, neutrals are very safe! They do bring out the calm and can live for a long time. The beauty about color is there are endless values and hues to play with. I love how soft tones and bold tones can pair well together.

Leann
    March 24, 2017 at 8:34 am

I want to go to Sorrento now! I want to stay at the bed and breakfast!! Good find! I love color too!

March 24, 2017 at 8:37 am

I hope you do go there and stay at the Marina Piccola! It was breathtaking and the view of Mt. Vesuvius is awesome!

Liz
    March 24, 2017 at 8:44 am

I also really love looking at homes with color! But it is intimidating for me, so I too play it safe with neutrals. But this is very inspiring. Maybe it’s time to shift into color?!

March 24, 2017 at 8:49 am

I’m glad it inspired you! Don’t be afraid of color and don’t assume color needs to be bold. Color has many values. I say start with some pillows and see how your eyes and body responds. Nice thing about pillows are: they are affordable and super easy to change!

Barb
    March 27, 2017 at 9:01 am

These examples of the use of color are beautiful. There is some risk in using bold colors. In these pictures it works well.

March 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm

There are low risk steps to ease your way into more bold color (if you want to). You can always start with pillows and an art print that may have a pop of color. If that works well for you, then you can move on to other areas for color.

We'd love to hear your comments!