Yes, I’ll admit I’m a giddy nerd when it comes to decorating and baking pies. It’s edible play dough y’all! You’ve got to be playful with it!
I am bummed that I won’t be able to go make pies this holiday season due to my hand surgery, but that doesn’t mean I can’t inspire you and get you in the mood! Here are some of my examples of how I play when baking my pies! 🙂
First, don’t think of baking pies as a chore. Think of it like playing with clay. Be a kid! Be wild and free with the dough and have fun! One of my favorite pie baking traditions is making pies with Nate (my hubby). The night before Thanksgiving after we put the boys to bed, put on classic 80’s music, dance around our kitchen and bake pies together. We are always in charge of bringing the dessert, so we spend the evening baking pies. Our house ends up smelling like a candy shop as the chopped pecans are swallowed up by thick caramel in our homemade pecan pie. YUM!
We do an apple, berry, pecan and a crazy new pie recipe if we are excited about trying something new. And we don’t forget the pumpkin pie! We stopped making home-made pumpkin pies after we decided that the Costco pumpkin pie was pretty creamy and awesome. I haven’t tried any homemade version that beats that pie. If you do have a recipe that you think can beat that creamy texture and rich flavor I want to know!!
Of course, if you’re not into the crazy pie crafty nerdy thing like I am, but you’re in it for the flavor, I pulled together some stunning and award-winning creative pie recipes from the web.
1) Best Pecan Pie recipe, HANDS DOWN is by The Pioneer Woman!
If you have not tried her pecan pie then break your tradition and start a new one with her recipe! It’s AMAZING!! Seriously, don’t be stubborn, just try it! If you really want to go a little crazier you could also add a half cup of chocolate chips to this recipe… Or maybe a bit more. Doesn’t chocolate pecan pie sound even more fun?!?
2) How about mixing it up with a Deep Dish Dulce De Leche Apple Pie? Doesn’t this sound delicious!!
3) Cinnamon Pear Crostata with Almond Oat Crust. You can use an almond extract or vanilla extract for this recipe! I LOVE pear desserts!!
4) Grape Blueberry Pie anyone?! I really want to try this one!
5) Blackberry Lemon Chess Pie with Honey Jumbleberry Sauce, YUM! This pie has won some awards!
6) Gingerbread Eggnog Pumpkin Pie. Did somebody say Eggnog?! I’m in!
7) Chocolate Banana Cream Pie I really want to give this pie a go!
8) Cranberry Cheesecake Pie I really, really, really LOVE cranberries, so I’m all over this recipe!
9) Cinnamon Pie, Yup. That’s right up my alley. YUM!
10) Cheddar Apple Pie! These are already a yummy combo together unbaked. I couldn’t decide on the recipe I liked better so I added both:
So there you go! Do you like to try new pie recipes? Which one speaks to you?