Beautiful on the Outside,Decor

My Living Room & Kitchen Remodel

Yep! It’s going to get pretty crazy and very dusty at my place here in a little bit. I’m so, so desperate for more storage space in my little square home. So I’m putting in more cabinets and shelving…  Before I start this madness I’d love some of your advice!

So, as I’ve been illustrating and designing my built-in cabinets for my living room and (maybe) kitchen I found myself stuck on which direction to go in. Do I take my built-ins all the way up to the ceiling or only part way? I wanted to get your thoughts too.

Yes, if I had a money tree growing in the backyard, I’d totally say, “Yep, we are doing built-ins to the ceiling.” But, my house is a big open floor plan, so everything, I mean everything needs to flow and be cohesive. Otherwise it would look unbalanced and weird. That being said, currently my kitchen cabinets don’t go to the ceiling. So if I were to have my living room cabinets go to the ceiling, in order to balance the other side of my open house, my kitchen cabinets need to be customized to go to the ceiling.  Long story short, I’d need to fork over more dinero so both sides of the house were balanced.

While, yes, of course, the end result would look outstanding, I still need to stick to a budget and be somewhat responsible.  Oh and don’t you worry, I’m shopping around and getting quotes from many different builders. Originally I was going to tackle this as a DIY, and then after 10 min, I was like, “Girl, you ain’t got time for that.”

My husband can’t visualize a space like I can, so I photoshopped everything in for him to get his blessing.

So. Let’s talk doing cabinet’s to the ceiling or not.

First up: Cabinets & Built-in Part Way Up

This is a quick shot of my kitchen currently. My cabinets will eventually be painted, and I’ll be replacing the counter-tops but that’s a later topic. Ignore the clutter and focus on where my cabinets are located.

Okay! If I keep the cabinets as they currently are then my built-in’s in my living room would end around the same hight.  Below is what my design would look like.

Cabinets & Built-ins that Go to the Ceiling

Now, if I go all the way up, my top row of kitchen cabinets would need to be adjusted. Below is what I would have in mind for adjusting them and adding the small third row of top cabinets.

Source

Looking more like this.

Then, my built-ins would look like this.

What do you think? Should I go all the way up or not? I’d love to hear from you!

XOXO,

Brooke
    January 26, 2018 at 7:49 am

All the way! I think in the end you won’t regret it. Built-in’s to the ceiling have such a classic look and they make your ceiling look higher! Good luck!

January 26, 2018 at 8:09 am

I’m leaning in that direction. Thank you for your comment!

Beth
    January 26, 2018 at 8:19 am

Go all the way up! It’s timeless.

January 26, 2018 at 8:24 am

I’m defiantly thinking about it!

Leann B.
    January 26, 2018 at 8:21 am

I love these kinds of projects. Can’t wait to see the before. I agree the the other two comments. I think you’ll be much happier if they go to the ceiling.

January 26, 2018 at 8:25 am

That’s the third comment saying go all the way up! Thanks!

Brandi Cook
    January 26, 2018 at 8:26 am

I would get a bid both ways and then decide. Either will be great! All the way is awesome but once you start diggin I’m to cabinet changes the cost is significant.

January 26, 2018 at 8:31 am

I defiantly will. I’ve got bids already started. Thanks so much for commenting!

Mimi
    January 26, 2018 at 8:42 am

all the way up. It depends on you though…. in my house people clutter the top of the kitchen cabints with electric mosquito rackets, tithing jars, dried flowers….

January 26, 2018 at 11:42 am

I’m in favor of all the way up too. I just need more places to store things. My house is small and really needs more storage. My kitchen is extra small, so more storage there is going to be helpful too.

Lillian
    January 26, 2018 at 8:55 am

I vote part way up! I like the culminating feeling that the higher fireplace gives.

January 26, 2018 at 11:38 am

Nate like’s that look too. But I also think he likes it because it’s going to cost less too.

Nate
        January 26, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Honestly, I could go either way, but I’m leaning toward all the way up. It really helps to have the room photo-shopped to what it could look like (for those of us that have trouble visualizing that sort of thing).

Jo
    January 26, 2018 at 9:15 am

I vote all the way up!!!!! Your existing built-ins are beautiful but that extra shelving won’t go to waste and I agree about balancing them with the kitchen cabinetry.

January 26, 2018 at 11:37 am

I’m getting quotes now so I’m waiting for these massive numbers coming my way. Yikes!

Jana
    January 26, 2018 at 9:53 am

I say all the way up to the ceiling! I am the type who’d rather “do it right” or not at all. I know money is always an issue, but in the long-run and for resale in the future you’ll be so happy you put quality first!

January 26, 2018 at 11:36 am

Yes, in the long run, I will be much happier about it.

Allison T
    January 26, 2018 at 9:56 am

All the way up!!!

January 26, 2018 at 11:35 am

I agree, we’ll see if I can afford it! 😉

Barbara
    January 26, 2018 at 10:09 am

Hello Melessa, Jim, the expert remodeler, says they are different rooms and can have different themes. He thinks it’s totally fine to have cabinets to the ceiling in one room and not in the other, even if they open to each other. He has even done kitchens that have some cabinets to the ceiling and some not. So see, no problemo!
    Enjoy your updates!

(Check out Jim’s work at http://www.vanheeldreams.com.)

January 26, 2018 at 11:34 am

I know Jim’s work! He’s outstanding! Thank you for sharing your advise and his!

Elane Teasdale
    January 26, 2018 at 10:39 am

Wow!! I didn’t even know you had to worry about cabinets being balanced…..Good thing I don’t have your eye in all my mess. I would go crazy. Maybe it is good to be blind.

January 26, 2018 at 11:33 am

You are so funny! Sometimes I think my eyes and what I see are a curse. It’s a bitter sweet thing.

Sonya
    January 26, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Love the white cabinets. I would go all the way up, since you would have the windows on the top cabinets it would give it more of an open feeling yet you still get the storage.

Kelly Somerville Staruck
    January 27, 2018 at 2:07 am

Sorry if this shows up twice. As someone who has high cabinets in my kitchen, I can honestly say it seems like only ideal storage for things you don’t use often. Most of the things in my top shelves we haven’t touched in the 2 years since we moved bc its such a hassle to reach and put back. My advice is to get rid of the stuff you don’t really need. I love built ins and they are just as beautiful and less cluttered looking only going part way.

• We'd love to hear your comments!